Sunday, March 4, 2007

Little Red Dot

Singapore (or what we sometimes call "the little red dot" - a term made famous by Tommy Koh and Chang Li Lim's book of the same name) is where I was raised and now live. Much has been said about this tiny nation, its achievements and idiosyncracies. For me, it's where most of my family are; it's relatively safe; most things are well run; hawker food is cheap with regulated hygiene standards, public transportation is good. It's a hodge podge of cultures and influences.

Like Singapore, I've bits of different things - part Peranakan and part Teochew; part Asian and part Western in my thinking. I'm also of the "in-between" generation in Singapore, old enough to remember when there were rubber estates with the reek of vulcanized rubber and tugboats huddled together by the godowns of downtown Singapore, yet young enough to enjoy video games, roller coasters and fast food.

No comments: