Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Learning the guitar

I've been taking weekly guitar lessons for 9 months now and have progressed from muffled plunking sounds to distinguishable chords and strums. At several points I had wanted to give up, especially when I compared myself with classmates who seem to move nimbly and effortlessly between chords and rhythms and wondered if I was ever going to get there. But when I thought of how far I had come - from ground zero to being able to play simple songs and rhythms - I take heart. Now I am grappling with finger plucking and hammer-ons (it's creating a new and higher note by hammering down on an already ringing string on a new fret) and feel that I am standing at the foot of another mountain. Getting one finger to straddle 3 strings on a fret and pulling off a hammer-on seems an impossible task to me. I am learning about perseverance - maybe this time I'll get there sooner than 9 months!

3 comments:

Anita C. Lee said...

I can almost hear that beautiful music you will soon be making. Keep up the hard work--in guitar and coaching.

Unk Dicko said...

I never had a single day of guitar, ukelele,music, or singing lesson in my life. Yet, I am quite at ease and comfortable in doing all these for the last 50 years.
The secret, for me, is to listen to others,observe how it is done and go to some quiet corner and re-create those sounds.And often, when that is not possible, I do it "my way"which sounds as good.
Enjoying what you are doing is a great motivator too.
Cheers.

pilgrimparent said...

I never had formal guitar lessons either. I was taught ukulele by Dad/Uncle Dick above, and picked up everything I know about guitar from watching people.

For a long time I only knew three chords. But I milked them for all their worth! And now 17 years later, I'm so glad I kept at it. I'm not a great guitarist, but it is so good to be able to make music with such a versatile, portable instrument.

i just know you're going to be a fine fine guitarist, and make a joyful noise unto the Lord!

Love,
Pilgrim Mom